Monday, December 11, 2023

Blog: Video Games of November 2023

I spent a lot of November down with COVID, so I don't really remember the month and certainly didn't have a lot of energy to play. I'd planned to pick up Sea of Stars around my birthday and that turned out to be a pretty good speed when I had the energy for it.


My top five games (by play time) for November were:

  1. Sea of Stars - Sea of Stars is a lot of fun. I think it stands up on its own, but it's also the modern extension of great SNES role playing games. It's certainly made with a lot of Chrono Trigger in it's heart and kind works as the sequel I'd been imagining, rather than Chrono Cross.
    Screenshot: The three heroes talk to a wanderer on a mountain top at sunset. The Wanderer says 'Mountains're nice'


  2. Dicey Dungeons - Dicy Dungeons has been the thing to play when I don't want to use my brain too much.
    Screenshot: The Inventor, an orange D6 faces off against Beatrice, a vampy bee woman. The invetor has a shocked card, which they can't use without adding a die, a two handed sword which will do at least six damage plus another die's worth and a jackhammer where when you push the button your opponent's equipment will be shocked.


  3. Tactics Ogre: Reborn - I started a new playthrough to look at the differences of the routes. I'm finding the overall story a little flat, and some of that is due to them trying to keep a dark and gritty tone. The game play in each mission is always fun, so as long as you don't think about the war crimes you keep committing, it's fun.
    Screenshot: Our heroes, lead by the Hawkman Canopus, fight their way up a large rough fortress on a dark and stormy night. The battle seems to have turned with only a few opponents remaining.

  4. Stardew Valley - I found it hard to come back to Stardew Valley. It's still a good an enjoyable game and the core farming is enjoyable, but I found having played through all of the story years ago, I just didn't really connect.
    Screenshot: Our farmer looks at a patch of Kale in a rather patchy looking farmyard.


  5. Mineko's Night Market - I thought I'd try this out as something new in the farming / store management genre. It's fun, but not quite what I'd hoped. It's slow on its own and then has some fairly severe technical issues on the switch that make it frusterating to play.
    Screenshot: A closeup of a white cat, looking bewilderedly at the front of a van which has been made to look like a snail.


Here's my total play time for November:



And here's a chart of how much I've played over the month:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading

I’m not sure that anyone, myself included, really needs this post. On the other hand, I read a thing about re-reading and I want to write ab...