Sunday, January 01, 2023

2022 in Games

 One of the benefits of tracking what I play is that I get to make a little post at the end of the year talking about what I played and how my year was in video games. While 2022 was not a great year in a lot of ways, it did have a lot of pretty good video games in it.

Time Spent

I played 33 games for 600 hours in 2022. That's about the same amount of time as last year, but with fewer games. It was a pretty tactics / RPG heavy year, so had quite a few games that took a lot of time and then a few games trailing along at the end.

Overall my top 10 games by time played where:

  1. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 158 hours
  2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - 74 hours
  3. Triangle Strategy - 64 hours
  4. Hollow Knight - 49 hours
  5. Tactics Ogre: Reborn - 43 hours
  6. Ogre Battle 64 - 35 hours
  7. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe - 28 hours
  8. Loop Hero - 27 hours
  9. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 23 hours
  10. Eastward - 22 hours
Xenoblade 3 Screenshot: The Main Six's ship, sailing past an island with a floating castle in the background and aurora blazing across the sky.
Xenoblade was an absolute joy to look at. Good in a lot of other ways, but Monolithsoft know pretty games.


Finished Games

Last year I started tracking games I finished. The list is pretty short this year, but mostly the games I finished were the ones that took the longest to play.

  • Dragon Quest Builders 2
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Eastward
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Dragon Quest Builders 2 Screenshot: A view of a house under construction in a happy looking farm.
Building myself a farmstead.


Favourite Games

I've recorded how I felt about the new games I played this year, but overall my favourites for 2022 were:

  • Eastward
  • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Ogre Battle 64
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Tactics Ogre: Reborn
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Nothing really surprising on there. The one game that *maybe* should be included is Dragon Quest Builders 2, but I'm not sure I loved it so much as got obsessed with it.

If you haven't played Eastward I would suggest you look it up and spend some time with it. I think it's an absolute gem of a game and a wonderful example of a really well designed and built game. Especially if you loved 16-bit era games, there's a lot there for to feel nostalgic about but in a new and well thought through way.

Eastward Screenshot: Sam and John stand looking at a run down tower with a helicopter stuck to the top.
The whole game is beautiful and rundown and messy and sharp all at once.



Things about Games in 2022

My PC broke in late 2021 and I spent all year meaning to get it fixed, (or replaced) but never really got around to it. There are a whole mix of factors into why, but the outcome is that I spent all of my game time on the Switch, which worked out well with a number of big RPGs and some really strong tactics games.

I'm utterly in love with Tactics Ogre: Reborn. I'm not quite sure why that series gets to live in my head so deeply, but I love them and Reborn has been a lot of fun. Sparks of Hope is also really good and just below that "Favourite" threshold, but certainly fun to play. I've grumbled a lot about Triangle Strategy, but it is a really strong take on the Tactics Ogre / Final Fantasy Tactics model. Other than my complains about slowness, I think the other reason Tactics Ogre wins for me is that it gives you so much more flexibility in how you want to take down problems.

2022 was a good, stable year over all (as far as games go). Beyond getting a little taken away by Dragon Quest Builders, I was pretty intentional with what I played and I played a lot of good games. 

Xenoblade Screenshot: Eunie saying "I am actually trying to control myself. If I start going crazy, nudge me."
Eunie's the boss.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading

I’m not sure that anyone, myself included, really needs this post. On the other hand, I read a thing about re-reading and I want to write ab...