Saturday, December 24, 2022

Looking back at 2022's New Year's Resolutions

 I like to look back at resolutions from last year to see how those things have gone. It’s not really so much about accountability as it is about checking in on what the shape of the year has been, compared to how I thought it would go.

Looking at my post for 2021, I feel like I have a lot of the same things to say, but I’m a doing a little bit better over all. Interestingly I had periods in both years where I felt down, but I’m starting to feel better overall now and I’m getting a bit better at managing my stress (not a lot better, but a bit).

I’m not quite sure what I need to make 2023 a year of comfortable growth, but I think doing resolutions is a little bit helpful. To be clear, I’m not sure that I *need* to make 2023 a year of growth, but I’m not quite “where I want to be” and so I guess there’s nothing to do but be intentional about the things I do and changing my habits for ones that make me happier. 

Last year, I had four resolutions:

  1. Move: This has been a bit of a struggle. Specifically, I want to be stronger and fitter and less sore, but I also find it hard to dedicate the time. Being intentional about moving, either as exercise or just as not sitting on my ass, hasn’t been easy, even with the very nice sit/stand desk at work.
  2. Read more non-fiction: This hasn’t been a roaring success either. Again in the time management area, I’m not great at creating time to read non-fiction. My fiction reading rate has been quite high and I’m on track to finish my 120 book challenge this year, but a lot of that is audiobooks and I don’t think that audiobooks and non-fiction mesh very well in my brain.
  3. Do: Do, has been a little complicated. I think through the first half of the year I did okay at working on stuff. I find my relationship to the projects I want to do has changed, especially as they fit in as hobbies. The latter half of the year, especially after getting sick in October and having some other things come up has really derailed “Do,” but I’m also learning to choose where I want to spend my energy. I’m also connecting more to the projects I’m undertaking at work and getting satisfaction there as well.
  4. Learn more about food: I have to confess this is the one I forgot about. To some extent I think I have learned more, having to get a new oven has been educational and we’ve been starting to adjust our diet to be healthier as well. I think this is a thing I’ve started doing, but I still have a lot of learning I’d like to do.


2022 may have kicked me as hard as 2021 did, but in slightly different ways. I will probably always have a lot of growing I want to do and things I want to learn. I’m trying to adopt a stronger growth mindset and also to be more centred in myself so I can take on challenges and surprises more easily.

A chinook sunset, with orange and pink reflecting on the heavy cloud.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading

I’m not sure that anyone, myself included, really needs this post. On the other hand, I read a thing about re-reading and I want to write ab...