Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Project 2: The Ogre Manager : Update

You may have noticed that the second project I started, The Ogre Manager, has gone unmentioned for a very long time. There are three main reasons for this, the fact that I fell behind doing everything with the blog is the first, the second is that I didn't give myself a deadline to finish by and the third (and most interesting) is that I don't know that I really want the Ogre Manager in the way I outlined it in the first post.

As I mentioned in the first post is that the origin of the Ogre Manager was a sketch pad which I kept track of all my unit levels on and I did the math using my old high-school Casio calculator. I really enjoyed the "meditative" nature and the hand-made nature of doing it this way. I always felt like I was losing that when I used the spreadsheet and that the Ogre Manager was also going to be a little to "technical".

So, I'm re-organizing the project and introducing The Paper Ogre Manager. 



I decided to make this as nice as possible, so I started by getting a set of large moleskine cahier with ruled squares. I'm going to include 4 graphs which outline the average level for each unit, the average front-attack (or best-attack) power for each unit, the average alignment, and the accumulated experience (or possibly percentage of calculated experience). I will also track these in a table as well.



It's still probably a month or so before it really feels like Ogre Battle time to me (I think I may be a type of reverse plant I can only play Ogre Battle once I'm not getting enough light), but now that I have this set up I'll be ready. I may still tackle the software version at some point, mostly for the programming practice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading

I’m not sure that anyone, myself included, really needs this post. On the other hand, I read a thing about re-reading and I want to write ab...